Fort Nelson First Nation
2026 Kennay Yah Road
RR 1, Mile 295 Alaska Hwy
Fort Nelson , British Columbia (Canada)
Job Title: Community Health Nurse/Home Care Nursing Spvr
Job Category: Office-Professional
Job Type: Full Time
Job Sub Type: N/A
Required DriverLicence: Yes
Required Drug Screening: No
Check Criminal Record: Yes
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing, Registered Nurse (BSN, RN) or diploma (RN) qualification.
- RN License to Practice in good standing with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
- Minimum 2 years of supervised experience as an RN with experience working with First Nation’s people being essential.
- Current CPR -C Certification.
- Knowledgeable regarding the nursing process and its applications, including the assessments, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care.
- Demonstrated ability to assist patients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respecting their confidentiality and privacy and communicating in a courteous and respectful manner.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite
- Good organizational, time management and prioritizing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Physically able to perform all assigned tasks
- Criminal Records Review Program with vulnerable sector
- Valid driver’s licence and current driver’s abstract
Desired Qualifications – in addition to above:
- Current BCCDC Immunization Competency Certification
- Current AHA Healthcare Provider training (BCLS)
- Remote Certified in emergency care and specialized treatment and clinical care is an asset
- First Nations experience nursing on reserve
- Previous experience in community program development
- Formal training in crisis management
- Familiarity with integrated health services
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Community Services the Community Health Nurse/Home Care Nursing Supervisor (RN) assesses, plans, implements, evaluates and documents all nursing care of patients in accordance with policies and professional nursing standards. The RN oversees the quality of departmental nursing services and develops day-to-day nursing care plans. The RN is the primary point of contact between patients, families and healthcare professionals. The RN follows the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation and performs all other duties as assigned. Workload and authority: this position supervises home care and community health care. As nurse responsible for the direction of the home care team you will provide direction and support to the home care supervisor and team of 2 home care aides and 3 home support workers; as such you will oversee the clinical needs of people with functional limitations, Elder Care, home visits and charting. As Nurse responsible for community health you will oversee disease prevention, pre-and post-natal care and community health education at the local K-12 school on reserve. Preference will be given to qualified First Nations candidates.
- Salary commensurate with BC Nurses Union wages.
- Schedule is Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Moving Expenses covered to a maximum as per policy.
- Leave pays includes: sick pay, family responsibility pay, bereavement pay as per policy.
- Vacation award is 4 weeks; time in lieu award is 1 week.
- Flexible schedule arrangements.
- Health benefits (health, dental, vision, EAP), and pension matching.
- Travel bonus to attend annual FNHA conference.
- Training includes TB/Immunizations 101, Annual Communicable Disease Conference, as well as many other learning and development opportunities provided by the FNHA.
- Full access to FNHA Practice Support and Practice Consultation teams, both for Home Care and Community Health.
Closing Date: Will remain open until filled. Application screening is ongoing. Applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be responded to. Preference will be given to qualified First Nations candidates. Fort Nelson First Nation is a progressive organization offering an incredible work environment, competitive salary packages, extended medical, dental and vision, pension plan, professional development and career advancement opportunities.
To forward your resume and cover letter please respond to:
Cathy Murphy, Human Resources Consulting
Fort Nelson First Nation
R.R. #1, Mile 295, Alaska Highway
Fort Nelson, B.C. V0C 1R0
A Nation. A People. Strong, Healthy, Proud & Self-reliant.
Salary: Commensurate with BC Nurses Union wages
How To Apply: Email