The Fort Nelson Aboriginal Friendship Society (FNAFS/the Society) is seeking a highly qualified individual to assist with the managing of the internal operations of the FNAFS. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Executive Director Assistant will provide resources and leadership to the staff of the FNAFS, as well as work together in building a stronger and safer working community.
The Executive Assistant will be responsible for the day-to-day operations and serving as a member of the Management Team. This position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organizations operating functions. The position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies, and practices.
In addition to the qualifications listed, successful candidates would have:
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to lead, develop, and manage a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work and manage in a positive team environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the BC Societies Act.
- Comprehensive knowledge of employment and labour standards.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and other software.
- Knowledge and understanding of FNAFS's mandate, organizational structure, and the Friendship Centre Movement.
- Self-motivated, inspiring, and action oriented.
- Openness to direction and Collaborative work style and commitment to getting the job done.
- Understanding of and ability to be politically and culturally sensitive.
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view.
- Coordination and Supervision:
- Coordinate, manage and monitor the workings of various departments in the organization, program proposals as needed as per ED.
- Working with the ED, to assist in recruitment and placement of required staff; establishment of organizational structure.
- Establish work schedules. Supervise staff. Monitor and evaluate performance in partnership with the ED.
- Workshops: Initiate team-building workshops; promote positive working conditions.
- Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services and programs.
- Attend all regular staff meetings to keep informed of staff and program.
- Evaluate volunteer services and recommend strategies for improving volunteer activities.
- Best Practices:
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals.
- Assist the organizations' staff to analyze local needs and requests for service.
- Recommend to the Executive Director new opportunities for program or service delivery.
- Risk Management:
- Oversee organizational insurance policies.
- Ensure health and Safety committee meetings are held and tasks assigned.
- Responsible for advertising of FNAFS activities and to maintain a community events calendar.
- Attend community meetings. Possible out of town meetings; Develop and maintain a good working relationship with various groups, associations, and agencies.
- Visit local groups/associations/agencies regularly to exchange information on services and programs.
- Other tasks as assigned by the ED.
Wage: Dependent upon experience and qualifications.
- Must be able to provide a current criminal record check.
- Post-secondary education in Labour Management, Business, or HR from a recognized institution, or five (5) years of non-profit related work experience.
- Knowledge of government contract management and knowledge/experience in organization effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative management style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace.
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization.
- Experience in delegation.
- Experience working with Indigenous communities and/or urban Aboriginal service organizations.
How to Apply
Please apply by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure to include your resume and at least 3 references (with at least 1 reference being a previous employer).
We thank all individuals for applying, but only those applicants who clearly demonstrate meeting the qualifications will receive a response.
No telephone calls please.